Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dear Readers, You're Not Alone

Now that National Eating Disorder Awareness Week has come to a close, there is a letter I'd like to share. It's a Thank You letter written by me... to all of you.

Dear readers,

Whether you are in the depths of despair, chugging along in recovery, maintaining new health and wellness, are a fellow activist, a worried parent, or a concerned friend or significant other, THANK YOU for coming here. Thank you for reading and listening. Thank you for recognizing that an eating disorder is not something of which to be ashamed, but something that requires help and support, like many other things in life. Thank you for trying, day to day.

You are not alone.

I'm on the other side of this screen, sending out positive energy and thoughts to everyone who needs them most. And out there are hundreds of other girls, boys, men, and women who are taking this journey with you. Eating Disorders feel lonely. They isolate you. They push others away. They make you feel like there's no one but you and the disease. It's simply not true. For every pair of eyes reading these words, there are dozens of others out there trying to win the same fight.

Keep your chin up, even when it feels like your head is being pushed under water.
Take one day at a time - there is no other way to do recovery.
The eating disorder might be your reality - but you can change your reality.
YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR REALITY.
Some people don't know that. Some people realize it too late. Some people don't understand the concept.

It's true. You can change your reality. It doesn't have to be this way.
And you can start today.

With love, encouragement, and understanding,

6 comments:

Sia Jane said...

I have always believed your words.
Ever since the first day I met you.
I love you, so very much and I am blessed to have had you, walk and in hand with me, through so much.
You are one very special lady xxxx

Lauren Bersaglio said...

Thank-you Arielle for all of the support/love/encouragement that you send out =) It means SO much!
~Lauren B

Susu Paris Chic said...

Your words speak to me today. I feel at times quite alone, even though I know I am not. Lately I just haven't felt that hungry. But I should eat... to fully recover.

.. said...

I really appreciate what you do for all of us out here, Arielle. Every day is hard for me because of my unique circumstances, but your posts and your story give me hope. I agree with the others-- your outreach is a blessing. :-)

Kia said...

Thanks for this letter, I know you say the truth, I know I'm not the only one who's fighting anorexia... but sometimes it's hard to feel like this and in my reality, in the small universe of my daily life, I ofen feel like I'm all alone... as because of anorexia I've taken away all the people who were my friends. I'm not angry with them, I've done it all on my own, it's my falut: it's obvious that people who can choose who to stay with, don't choose the ill ones. In the beginning they tried to help me and support me, but I pushed all them away, so they went away.
So, I know I'm not the only one anorexic, anyway I have to fight this battle alone.

Veggie said...

Beautiful letter, really.
It gave me a lot of motivation... thanks!
Sometimes I feel like I am all alone... but sure I only have to think taht all over the world there are a lot of people who are fighting "with me"... and I feel a little less alone...